- Fabric dyes in assorted colors
- Large plastic tubs
- Wooden spoons
- Plain white T-shirts in several sizes
- Strong rubber bands
- Mix the dyes according to the directions on the packets.
- Use a separate tub for each color and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Tie knots in the T-shirt or twist sections and secure with rubber bands.
- Dip the tied T-shirt into a dye tub and swirl around until covered.
- Leave for the time indicated on the dye packet.
- Remove and rinse with water until the water runs clear.
- Allow to dry.
- Untie the knots and remove the rubber bands.
- Iron flat or tumble in a clothes dryer to remove creases.
- Experiment with more than one color and with imaginative tying designs.
From 365 Smart After-School Activities by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. Copyright © 2005 by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. All rights reserved. Used by arrangement with Sourcebooks, Inc.
Buy the book at www.amazon.com.