- Sewing needle
- Liquid detergent
- Cut out a piece of newspaper about two inches square.
- Fill the bowl with water and float the newspaper on the surface of the water.
- Place the needle in the center of the newspaper.
- Carefully push the edges of the newspaper down into the water.
- As the newspaper gets wet and sinks, it will leave the needle floating.
- Now add a drop of liquid detergent to the water at the edge of the bowl.
- Notice how the needle quickly sinks to the bottom.
More on: Earth Science and Nature
From 365 Smart After-School Activities by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. Copyright © 2005 by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. All rights reserved. Used by arrangement with Sourcebooks, Inc.
Buy the book at www.amazon.com.