Make a Sundial
- 12 inch by 12 inch piece of heavy card stock
- Block of wood
- Thumb tacks
An old way to tell the time was to use the sun and the shadows it cast. You can make a sundial to put in your backyard that will tell you what time it is.
- First, take the heavy card stock and fold it corner to corner, then cut the card in half.
- Fold a flap on the bottom of the card to tack into the piece of wood.
- Attach the card to the wooden block, making sure the triangle is straight up and down.
- Place the sundial on a flat surface in the sun.
- Every hour, mark off where the shadow is cast.
- You might even want to paint a nature design on the wood block.
- Remember to keep the sundial facing the same direction so your hour marks will be accurate.
More on: Earth Science and Nature
From 365 Smart After-School Activities by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. Copyright © 2005 by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. All rights reserved. Used by arrangement with Sourcebooks, Inc.
Buy the book at www.amazon.com.