- Clear plastic bottle
- Clear tape
- Lettuce or weeds
- Snails from the garden
Your snail farm will be contained within the plastic bottle.
- Cut a small door in the side of the bottle about three inches by two inches so that when the bottle is on its side the door is at the top.
- Next, place damp soil in the bottle.
- Go outside and look for snails in the yard. Look around leafy plants, in the vegetable garden, or at the base of brick walls.
- Put them in your snail farm and give them fresh food like lettuce and weeds.
- Seal the door at the top with some clear tape and punch holes in the tape for air vents.
- Make sure the bottle top is sealed.
- Watch your snails for a few days then let them go.
From 365 Smart After-School Activities by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. Copyright © 2005 by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. All rights reserved. Used by arrangement with Sourcebooks, Inc.
Buy the book at www.amazon.com.