- Plastic bottles with screw lidsyou need at least 100, so contact a recycling center or have everyone you know save them for you
- Large onion bags16 bags to make a raft for two people
- Plastic fishing line
- Pick a location that has a stream, creek, or river.
- Ask everyone to bring a picnic lunch. You can supply the lemonade.
- Send invitations at least two weeks before the party so everyone has time to collect plastic bottles and onion bags.
- How many bottles and bags you get will determine the size and shape of the raft.
- To make the raft, put one onion bag inside another for extra strength, then fill it with plastic bottles making sure all the lids are fastened tightly so no water gets in.
- Use the fishing line and a large needle to sew up the openings in the bags.
- When you have all the bags stuffed, sew them together.
- When it's time to try out the raft, make sure the people riding it are wearing life jackets.
From 365 Smart After-School Activities by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. Copyright © 2005 by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. All rights reserved. Used by arrangement with Sourcebooks, Inc.
Buy the book at www.amazon.com.