- Packet of pole bean seeds
- Long stakes or bamboo
- Prepare an area of soil about six feet square.
- Arrange the stakes in a teepee shape, placing them in the ground six inches from the edge of the soil area and meeting in the middle overhead.
- Secure the tops of the stakes together with string.
- Soak the bean seeds overnight.
- Plant the seeds according to the packet directions around the base of the teepee on the outside.
- Water generously.
- As the beans begin to grow tall, tie the stems carefully to the stakes.
- In six to eight weeks, the bean plants will cover the stakes and you can play inside the teepee.
- The beans can be eaten fresh or harvested and cooked.
From 365 Smart After-School Activities by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. Copyright © 2005 by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. All rights reserved. Used by arrangement with Sourcebooks, Inc.
Buy the book at www.amazon.com.