Build a Rock Garden
- Assorted rock plants
- Find a sunny spot in the garden or outside, about one square yard (meter).
- Arrange the rocks in a creative or pleasing mound or as a border, leaving space between them for soil and plants.
- Half fill the spaces with soil and press firmly into all the nooks and crannies.
- Water carefully and thoroughly.
- Add and subtract rocks where the water is running out to make the rock garden watertight.
- The best plants to put in the rock garden are small or tiny shrubs, miniature bulbs, and annuals and perennials that form low tufts of leaves and flowers.
- In mild climates, plant succulents and cacti.
- After planting, add more soil and press firmly.
- Keep lightly watered and remove weeds as they appear.
From 365 Smart After-School Activities by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. Copyright © 2005 by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. All rights reserved. Used by arrangement with Sourcebooks, Inc.
Buy the book at www.amazon.com.