Grow an Avocado Tree
- Avocado seed
- Sharp nail
- 3 round toothpicks
- Pierce the avocado seed with the nail to make three holes evenly spaced around the middle of the seed.
- Insert a toothpick in each hole.
- Fill the tumbler with water and balance the avocado seed on the top, making sure the bottom of the seed is in the water.
- Place on a window ledge.
- Soon it will begin to produce a root and a shoot.
- As soon as the shoot has a few leaves, snip off the top ones to encourage the plant to branch out.
- Pot the little tree when the roots are thick. If you live in a warm climate, you can plant the tree outside.
- Remember to keep it watered.
From 365 Smart After-School Activities by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. Copyright © 2005 by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. All rights reserved. Used by arrangement with Sourcebooks, Inc.
Buy the book at www.amazon.com.