Plant a Tree
- Tree seedling
Plant a tree in your yard, watch it grow and change, sit by it and talk about your problems, nurture and love it! Here's how you do it.
- Dig a hole bigger than the seedlings roots.
- Pour water into the hole to give your tree an extra drink on its first day.
- Set the tree in the hole and cover its roots with soil, filling the hole and packing the dirt around it as you go.
- Put wood chips, bark, and leaves around the base of the tree, but not right next to the trunk. The leaves and bark will break down and provide food for the tree. This is called mulching.
- Water the tree regularly the first few weeks.
From 365 Smart After-School Activities by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. Copyright © 2005 by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. All rights reserved. Used by arrangement with Sourcebooks, Inc.
Buy the book at www.amazon.com.