Gifts for Back to School
Kids will be tickled pink with this easy-to-make apron that transforms into a carryall. This apron would be a perfect gift for a new kindergarten student.
Time frame: One to two hours plus one week to set the paint
Level: Moderately easy
What you need:
- Child's-size apron/carryall (found at craft stores)
- Green, red, black, yellow, and orange craft paints (Or, you could use fabric paints to avoid using the textile medium and waiting for the paint to set.)
- Foam plate
- Textile medium (if not using fabric paints)
- Piece of cardboard
- Foam stamps (Chunky Stamps): frog, ladybug, sunflower
- Iron and ironing board
- Clean cloth or piece of material
- Pack of crayons
- Watercolor paint set
- Wash and dry the apron without using fabric softener.
- Place a dollop of green, red, black, yellow, and orange craft paint (about the size of a quarter) on a foam plate. Add half as much textile medium to each color and mix well. Place a piece of cardboard under the apron for a firm working surface.
- Paint the frog stamp with the green paint. Carefully center the stamp on the top front of the apron and press down to make a frog imprint.
- Paint the body of the ladybug stamp red and the head black. Press the stamp down on the left pocket to make a ladybug.
- Paint the petals of the sunflower yellow and the inside orange. Press the stamp down on the right pocket to make a sunflower. Add a few dots of black in the center of the flower as shown.
- Allow the apron to set for one week. (You can avoid this step by using fabric paints.) Put the apron on an ironing board, and place a clean cloth or piece of material on top. Iron over the material for 20 seconds on each stamped image to set the paint and make it machine-washable. (See the manufacturer's instructions on the textile medium.)
- Place a pack of crayons in one pocket of the apron and a watercolor paint set in the other pocket.
You might want to present your gift in a gift bag along with a coloring book and construction paper.
More on: Back to School
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Making Great Gifts © 2001 by Marilee LeBon. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's web site or call 1-800-253-6476.