- 4-by-22-inch piece of fabric
- Straight pins
- Needle and thread
- Safety pin
- 9-inch length of 1/4-inch elastic
- Have your child fold the fabric in half lengthwise with the wrong side out and pin the long edges together.
- Sew a seam along the pinned edge to make a fabric tube.
- Attach a safety pin to one end of the tube.
- Tuck it inside the tube and push it all the way through the tube so that the tube turns inside out. (The fabric will now be right side out.)
- Remove the safety pin.
- Attach the safety pin to one end of the elastic.
- Tape the other end of the elastic to your work surface.
- Use the safety pin to thread the elastic through the fabric tube.
- Remove the tape, overlap the ends of the elastic, and sew them together.
- Tuck one end of the fabric tube into the other, making sure the seam matches up.
- Fold the edge of the outer end under.
- Stitch the folded end to the tucked-in end all the way around.
More on: Activities for Kids
Copyright Â© 2001 by Patricia Kuffner. Excerpted from The Children's Busy Book with permission of its publisher, Meadowbrook Press.
To order this book visit Meadowbrook Press.