Papier-Mâché Piggy Bank
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 cups water
- Pipe cleaner
- Shallow pan
- Several sheets of newspaper
- Pink paint
- Black paint or marker
- Utility knife
- Empty paper egg carton
- Let your child mix the flour with 1 cup of water.
- Add the mixture to 5 cups of boiling water.
- Gently boil and stir the paste for 3 minutes.
- Let it cool, then pour it into a shallow pan.
- Tear the newspaper into squares or strips, then inflate and tie the balloon.
- Have your child dip the squares or strips of paper into the paste, then place them on the balloon, making sure their edges overlap.
- Cover the balloon with many layers of pasty paper and let it dry for a day or two.
- Cut 6 sections from the egg carton. Glue 1 section onto the tied end of the balloon for the pig's nose.
- Glue 4 sections onto the underside of the pig for its feet.
- Cut the remaining section in half and glue 1 piece onto each side of the pig's head for its ears.
- Use a curled pipe cleaner for the pig's tail.
- Cover the nose, feet, ears, and tail with papier-mâché and let them dry.
- Then paint the pig pink and add details with black paint or marker.
- Use a utility knife to cut a money slot in the top of the pig.
More on: Activities for Kids
Copyright Â© 2001 by Patricia Kuffner. Excerpted from The Children's Busy Book with permission of its publisher, Meadowbrook Press.
To order this book visit Meadowbrook Press.