- 10 to 15 minutes
- Coffee mug
- Baking soda
- In this simple activity you can stir up the brew that will mystify your child. Put the mug on the saucer in case it bubbles over, and fill it halfway with water.
- Dissolve 3 tablespoons of baking soda in it.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of vinegar into a separate cup and add all at once. Bubbles of carbon dioxide are created when the acid in the vinegar reacts with the base in the soda, just as they do in cakes and quick breads, making them rise.
- Make a recipe that calls for baking soda, dividing it into 2 bowls and adding baking soda to only one of them. Cook and compare what the results look like.
- Do a taste test and see if there are differences.
Copyright © 2004 by Susan Kettmann. Excerpted from The 2,000 Best Games & Activities with permission of its publisher, Sourcebooks, Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon.com.