An Imagination Station Activity
Age: 8 and up
Time: 2 - 3 hours or less
Type of Activity: Science
- A small to medium size aquarium
- Charcoal (finely ground)
- Small pebbles
- Soil mix
- Assorted small plants, such as ivy, mini-african violets, small herb plants, or cacti
- Glass or plastic for top
1. Wash and dry the aquarium.
2. In thin layers, add the charcoal, pebbles, perlite, and soil.
3. Make soil deep enough to support a small plant, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep.
4. Water plants well and remove from their containers.
5. With a teaspoon, dig a small hole for the root and plant the herbs, flowers, and small plants. Do not put them too closely together.
6. Cover the aquarium with a glass plate or plastic wrap; condensation will develop.
7. At least once a day, remove lid to let area dry out a bit.
8. Place in light but not direct sun. Water only with droplets since this will be a moist environment.
9. Enjoy watching it grow.
Follow up projects:
If you have success with a small aquarium, you can experiment with a large one and really get a little forest growing -- just let your imagination bloom!
More on: Earth Science and Nature