If you like to give your child a choice at mealtime, but he tends to want the same meals day after day, picture menus may be the answer.
- Pictures of your child's favorite meals
- Heavy paper
- Magnetic clip
- Plan several different meals that you know your child likes, being sure to include a variety of healthy foods (fruits or vegetables, protein foods, and grains) in each one.
- Cut out pictures of each meal from grocery store flyers, coupons, product labels, or magazine pictures.
- Glue the pictures to index cards or pieces of heavy paper (one meal per page) and hang them on a magnetic clip on the refrigerator.
- After your child chooses a meal he'd like, move that card to a different location until all the cards have been used up, then start over. Your child still has a choice, but there will be less arguing, indecision, and monotony.
More on: Activities for Toddlers
Copyright 1999 by Patricia Kuffner. Excerpted from The Toddler's Busy Book with permission of its publisher, Meadowbrook Press.
To order this book visit Meadowbrook Press.