Shrunken Apple Head
- Large red apple
- Piece of string
- Large darning needle
- Vegetable peeler
- Thread the piece of string through the needle, tie the end to a button, then poke the needle through the core of the apple starting at the bottom moving up toward the stem.
- Peel the skin off your apple, then carve the apple into the shape of the head you want to make.
- Make indentations for the eyes and mouth and carve some of the apple away around the nose to make it stick out.
- Take the apple and place it in the sun to dry out. Don't put it outside or the birds will eat it! A window ledge that gets sun would be perfect.
- Within days it will start to shrink. In the first few days, you can still make cuts in it to encourage the shape you want.
- When it is dry, push dried cloves in it for eyes. You can paint the face or make a puppet out of it if you like.
From 365 Smart After-School Activities by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. Copyright © 2005 by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray. All rights reserved. Used by arrangement with Sourcebooks, Inc.
Buy the book at www.amazon.com.