Pretend Mail Carrier
- Construction paper
- Shoeboxes or plastic baskets
- Clear contact paper
- Cut circles, squares, and triangles out of various colors of construction paper.
- Cover the shapes with clear contact paper.
- Tape one of each shape (if sorting by shapes) or each color (if sorting by colors) to a shoebox or small plastic basket.
- Give the remaining shapes to your child and have her play Mail Carrier-delivering all the shapes or colors to their proper mailboxes.
- You can also play this game with Duplo, wooden blocks, or other items you may have around the house.
- Try varying the criteria, sorting by big and small, hard and soft, and so on.
- If using baskets, they will stack nicely in a cupboard or on a shelf when not in use.
- Store the cards in a Ziploc bag with the baskets.
More on: Activities for Toddlers
Copyright © 1999 by Patricia Kuffner. Excerpted from The Toddler's Busy Book with permission of its publisher, Meadowbrook Press.
To order this book visit Meadowbrook Press.