- 5 to 10 minutes
- Handful of unsweetened cereal pieces
This is an old stand-by but one that requires intense concentration with a built-in reward. It helps the baby to develop hand-eye coordination that is needed in so many upcoming tasks. Spread some cereal out on the high chair tray or other play area and let the baby pick up the pieces and pop them into her mouth.
- Put a few pieces of cereal in a container like a small box or open pouch so that the baby can dig inside for the treats.
- Put some pieces into a closed plastic container and shake it before opening it to show the baby what is inside. As the baby eats, close and repeat now and then.
- Ask the baby to put one in your mouth, and help, if necessary.
- Lay out 2 or 3 cups and show the baby how to put cereal pieces into each one.
Copyright © 2004 by Susan Kettmann. Excerpted from The 2,000 Best Games & Activities with permission of its publisher, Sourcebooks, Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon.com.