Patriotic Music for Independence Day
The best songs for your 4th of July picnic
by Mark Zurlo
With hot dogs and hamburgers sizzling on the grill, plenty of bright sunshine, the kids enjoying the pool, and a brilliant fireworks display once the sun has set, nothing says summer like the 4th of July. There's no better way to complement the festivities than with the perfect mix of patriotic music playing in the background, from Lee Greenwood's anthem "God Bless the USA" to classics such as Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind." Use the list below, as well as your personal favorite Independence Day tunes, to create a playlist worthy of its own celebration.
- "God Bless the USA," Lee Greenwood (God Bless the USA, 1994)
- "Peaceful World," John Mellencamp (Cuttin' Heads, 2001)
- "God Bless America," Celine Dion and various artists (God Bless America, 2001)
- "Undivided" Bon Jovi (Bounce 2002)
- "America the Beautiful" Ray Charles (Ultimate Hits Collection 1999)
- "The Star Spangled Banner" Jimi Hendrix (Live at Woodstock 1999)
- "Only in America" Brooks & Dunn (Steers and Stripes 2001)
- "Independence Day" Martina McBride (The Way That I Am 1993)
- "Land of Hopes and Dreams" Bruce Springsteen (Live in New York City 2001)
- "America the Beautiful" Elvis Presley (America the Beautiful / If I Can Dream 2001)
- "Blowin' in the Wind" Bob Dylan (The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan 1963)
- "America" Neil Diamond (Jazz Singer 1980)
- "Living in the Promise Land" Willie Nelsona (The Promise Land 1986)
- "American Child" Phil Vassar (American Child 2003)
- "On the 4th of July" James Taylor (October Road 2002)
- "Song of the Patriot" Jonny Cash (Song of the Patriot 1990)
- More on Independence Day
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
Sign up for our free email newsletters and receive the latest advice and information on all things parenting.
Enter your email address to sign up or manage your account.