How to Plant Tomatoes
Plant tomatoes early in the growing season, about two or three weeks after the last frost. Some varieties produce only one crop of tomatoes (a good choice for containers), while others keep producing until the first frost.Materials
- Tomato seedlings
- Tomato cages
- Compost tea
- Help your child plant tomato seedlings about two feet apart in a sunny area, with their bottom leaves at soil level.
- Place a cage around each plant.
- Spread compost around the plants, making sure it doesn't touch the stems.
- Water the plants regularly with water and with compost tea every three weeks.
- Wind the stems through the cages as they grow.
More on: Activities for Kids
Copyright Â© 2001 by Patricia Kuffner. Excerpted from The Children's Busy Book with permission of its publisher, Meadowbrook Press.
To order this book visit Meadowbrook Press.