Stretches for Flexibility
In This Article:
Here is what you need to do to stretch your lower back and the side of your hip:
- Bend one knee at 90° and, with your opposite hand, pull that bent leg up and over your other leg, as shown.
- Turn your head to look toward the hand of the arm that is straight out with palm down (head should be resting on the floor, not held up).
- Placing the other hand on your thigh (just above the knee), pull your bent leg down toward the floor until you feel the right stretch feeling in your lower back and side of hip.
- Keep feet and ankles relaxed and make sure the backs of your shoulders are flat on the floor.
- Hold for 20-30 seconds and repeat on the other side.
Middle back stretch.
Here is what you need to do to stretch your middle back:
- Stand and interlace your fingers out in front of you at shoulder height.
- Turn your palms outward as you extend your arms forward as if pushing something away from you.
- You should feel a stretch in your shoulders, middle of upper back, arms, hands, fingers, and wrists.
- Hold for 20-30 seconds and repeat twice.
Excerpted from he Complete Idiot's Guide to Weight Training © 2003 by Deidre Johnson-Cane and Jonathan Cane. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit the Idiot's Guide website or call 1-800-253-6476.