Are We There Yet?
- Up to 30 minutes
- Map with the area to be covered on a trip
- Pen or pencil
- Provide your child with a map for the trip, making sure that it includes a mileage guide or other easy way to determine how much space on the map equals a mile.
- Trace the route you plan to take with a magic marker.
- During the trip, have your child follow the route and estimate the distance traveled.
- Use a small notebook to keep track of the progress and review it at the end of each day.
- Challenge your child to estimate distances between places, introducing the notion of scale.
Copyright © 2004 by Susan Kettmann. Excerpted from The 2,000 Best Games & Activities with permission of its publisher, Sourcebooks, Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon.com.