Glowing Pumpkin Drawing
This Halloween activity will teach your preschooler about physical properties, as he watches wax crayon repel water-based tempera paint.Materials
- Construction paper
- Orange and black crayons
- Black (or other contrasting color) tempera paint and brush
- Varnish (optional)
- Using crayons, help your child draw an outline of a pumpkin on a piece of construction or other paper.
- He should press hard, and fill in the outline with plenty of thick coloring.
- Then have him paint the picture with black (or other contrasting color) tempera paint. Since wax repels water, the colored areas will resist the paint and the painting will "glow."
- For a really dramatic effect, use fluorescent crayons, and finish with a coat of varnish.
More on: Activities for Preschoolers
Copyright © 1998 by Patricia Kuffner. Excerpted from The Preschooler's Busy Book with permission of its publisher, Meadowbrook Press.
To order this book visit Meadowbrook Press.