Build a Menorah
A menorah consists of nine candles, one for each day of Hanukkah, and one, called the shammash, used to light the other candles.
- 9 empty thread spools
- Large birthday candles
- Aluminum foil (optional)
- Make a Hanukkah menorah using nine empty thread spools to hold the candles.
- If the candles are a little loose, use some playdough to make them fit snugly.
- If you want to make the menorah more festive, cover the spools with aluminum foil.
- Since a menorah can be any shape or size, use your imagination. Your preschooler can insert candles into playdough or modeling clay that he has shaped into a pleasing design.
- Try standing candles in a shoe box lid filled with sand, or drill holes for the candles in a tree branch or an interesting piece of driftwood.
- Traditionally, you should light your menorah every day and use new candles each time. You will need forty-four candles in total for each menorah you light. Special packages of Hanukkah candles are available during this time of year.
More on: Activities for Preschoolers
Copyright Â© 1998 by Patricia Kuffner. Excerpted from The Preschooler's Busy Book with permission of its publisher, Meadowbrook Press.
To order this book visit Meadowbrook Press.