Kids won't be bored if they have this handy coloring book cover with them on a trip, in a car, in a waiting room—or any time you want them to play quietly.
Time frame: Three to four hours
Level: Moderately difficult
What you need:
- Piece of quilted material, 40 x 30 inches
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
- Wide trim or rickrack
- Matching piece of material, 21 x 12 inches
- Iron and ironing board
- Coloring book
- Pack of crayons
- Fold the 40 x 30-inch quilted material in half. Cut two rectangles that are 20 x 15 inches long.
- Place the rectangles, finished sides together, on a flat surface. Pin them together to prepare for sewing. Sew along the edges, using a 1⁄2-inch seam and leaving a 3-inch opening on one side for turning the material right side out. Remove the pins and turn the book cover right side out. Stitch the opening together.
- If desired, sew or glue rickrack or trim around the edges of the book cover. Cut two pieces of trim eight inches long. Sew a piece of trim on both sides of the book cover to allow the cover to be tied together.
- Place the 21 x 12-inch material on an ironing board. Using an iron, press a 1⁄2-inch hem (the wrong sides of the material should be together) on both 21-inch ends of the material. Sew the pressed hem on either side. Fold the material in half lengthwise with the right sides together. Sew each side. Turn the pocket right side out. Mark off one-inch slots for the crayons and sew through the material as shown. Pin the material to the bottom of the inside book cover and sew around the sides and bottom edge.
- Place a piece of trim along the inside spine of the book cover to hold the coloring book in place. Sew the top and bottom edge of the trim to the cover.
- Insert the coloring book inside the cover. Place a crayon in every slot.
More on: Crafts for Kids
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Making Great Gifts © 2001 by Marilee LeBon. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's web site or call 1-800-253-6476.