Homemade Gifts for Teachers
Book Lovers Gift Bag
Most teachers are book lovers. You can please a teacher on your gift list by giving him or her this “food for thought” gift bag.
Time frame: One to two hours
What you need:
- Homemade caramel popcorn (see recipe)
- Sealable bag for popcorn
- Gift certificate to local bookstore
- Gourmet iced teas or hot chocolate mix
- Gift bag
- Crepe paper filler
For Carmel Crunch recipe:
- 2 quarts of popped popcorn (Remove any unpopped kernels.)
- 11⁄3 cups pecans
- 2⁄3 cup almonds
- 11⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make the Carmel Crunch: Mix popcorn and nuts in a single layer on a greased cookie sheet.
- Combine the sugar, margarine, and syrup in a heavy saucepan. Bring it to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue boiling, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes until the mixture turns a light caramel color.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour over popcorn and nuts and mix to coat well. Spread to dry and break into pieces. Store in a sealed container.
- Place the crunch in a sealable plastic container or large zip-close bag.
- Assemble the remaining goodies and place them in a gift bag filled with crepe paper filler. Add a bow for a finishing touch.
More on: Crafts for Kids
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Making Great Gifts © 2001 by Marilee LeBon. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's web site or call 1-800-253-6476.