Kwanzaa Gifts for Kids
Don't forget the kids when planning your Kwanzaa gift list. Enjoy the look of wonder in a child's eye when you present him or her with these special gifts.
Box of Fun
Give the kids on your Kwanzaa list this present that will allow them to express their kumba (creativity).
Time frame: Two to four hours
What you need:
- Book of African tales
- Tape or CD of African music
- Wooden beads
- Bead cord
- Plastic storage box
- Acrylic paint (optional)
- Paintbrush (optional)
Place the book, tape or CD, beads, and bead cord in a plastic storage bin. You might want to personalize the bin by painting the word “Kwanzaa” and the year on the lid with acrylic paints.
Here are some suggestions for finding the supplies listed:
- Check out the selections of African folktales and music online at book and music retailers' websites. Use the keywords “African folktales/music” for available books, CDs, and reviews.
- A visit to a local bookstore will also produce many selections.
- Wooden beads and cord can be found at a craft store.
Many different types of sponges and foam stamps are available in craft stores. Give a lucky kid on your list a variety of these sponges and stamps, some paints, and paper to help them create their own works of art.
Time frame: One to two hours
What you need:
- Sponges in various shapes and sizes
- Kid foam stamps
- Poster paint in different colors
- Art paper
- Storage bin
- Apron (optional)
- Assemble the sponges, stamps, paint, and paper in the storage bin.
- You might want to include an apron to protect the child's clothing.
If you can, spend time with the child to help him or her get set up and share some techniques with the sponges and stamps.
More on: Kwanzaa
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Making Great Gifts © 2001 by Marilee LeBon. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's web site or call 1-800-253-6476.