Make a Flood
- 15 to 20 minutes
- Small jars
- The curiosity built into this activity also draws on planning, observation, and math skills. Place the empty jars in bowls (to keep the water from running all over), and fill them with water to differing levels.
- Drop coins into the jars one at a time to see the water rise.
- Count and chart how many coins it takes to make the water overflow.
- Begin again with larger items and try to predict when the overflow will take place.
- Fill two identical jars to the same level and compare the results of putting in a large item in one and small items in the other.
Copyright © 2004 by Susan Kettmann. Excerpted from The 2,000 Best Games & Activities with permission of its publisher, Sourcebooks, Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon.com.