Mom's Memory Box
Age: Preschool and up
Time: An afternoon
Type of activity: Arts and Crafts
Make Mother's Day -- or any day -- special when you give this gift that's made of love and happy memories.
- Shoe or hat box
- Acrylic paint
- Color copies of family photos and keepsake objects
- Mod Podge (can be purchased at any local craft store)
- Flat-edged dull knife
- Pieces of fabric, buttons, and other decorative objects
- Magazine clippings or wrapping paper scraps
- Baby or other family photo
- Lay newspapers over your work area in case of spills.
- Paint the box and let it dry. Paint any designs on the box that you want to appear as a background (trees, clouds, sun, stars...).
- Tear the edges of your family and keepsake photographic images to give them a frayed, antique look.
- Experiment with the layout of the photographic images, magazine clippings, and/or wrapping paper scraps you'll glue to the box. When you've decided on a design, paste the images on the box using the Mod Podge and paintbrush.
- Keep layering the images. Be sure to eliminate all the air bubbles as the paste dries, using the flat edge of the dull knife.
- Wipe up any excess Mod Podge around the images with the sponge.
- Using clear glue, attach any buttons, fabric scraps, or other decorative items you'd like to the box.
- Give the entire box a final coat of Mod Podge. Let it dry completely.
Now Mom, Grandma, or someone special will treasure this "keepsake keeper" for years to come!
More on: Mother's Day