10 Awesome Halloween Activities for Kids
3 of 11
Pumpkin carving is a tradition when it comes to Halloween. Spend some creative quality time with your family making jack-o'-lanterns this Halloween.
Here are some pumpkin carving tips:
- Decide on a design. Use our jack-o'-lantern creator to help!
- Let kids participate according to their ability. Older kids can help carve (supervise them closely). Younger kids can draw designs for older kids to cut out. Very small kids can help by removing seeds and getting them ready to toast.
- Thumbtack your paper design onto the pumpkin so it won't move. Prick an outline of your design with a skewer. Remove the paper.
- Carve out the design using the right tools. There are special tools just for carving pumpkins, although wood carving tools work well, too.
- Put your carved pumpkin in a cool, dry place when you're not displaying it, and limit the time you light it. The more heat it is exposed to, the quicker it will spoil.
NexT: Trick-or-Treat Bag