You can make your stuffing from scratch without a lot of hassle if you use prepared seasoned bread-stuffing cubes. You'll get rave reviews from your family for this special stuffing recipe sent to me by Dr. Robert Barnet of Reno, Nevada.
Level: Moderately easy
Time involved: One to two hours
- Two 16-ounce bags seasoned bread cubes
- 1 cup corn meal
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup white raisins
- 1 teaspoon chopped dry or fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped dry or fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup celery (especially tips and leaves) cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 to 12 small mushrooms sliced (These can be added fresh or sautéed in olive oil first.)
- 1 cooking apple, cored and sliced into thick pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 or 2 cups chicken broth
- Large mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Cooking spray
- 13 x 9 inch baking dish (optional)
Mix the ingredients together in the mixing bowl in the order listed. Use enough chicken broth to make the mixture soft and moist, but not sticky (according to your preference). Stuff the turkey with the mixture or place it in a baking dish sprayed with cooking oil. Add some drippings from the turkey and bake this at 350°F for 30 minutes.
More on: Crafts for Kids
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Holiday Crafts © 2002 by Marilee LeBon. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's web site or call 1-800-253-6476.