Valentine's Day Recipes
Picnic in the Park
Surprise your favorite valentine with a gourmet picnic for two. You can make the food yourself or pick up some specialty foods at your local grocery store. Be sure to include a bottle of wine or sparkling cider. If you don't live in a warm climate, you might want to spread your lunch out in front of a fireplace or drive to a romantic, scenic area and eat in the car.
Time frame: One to two hours
What you need:
- Plastic or paper plates, flatware, and cups
- Tablecloth and napkins (red or pink are always a nice touch)
- Hearts of palm or artichoke heart salad
- Chicken, ham, or seafood salad made into heart-shaped sandwiches (Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter.)
- Imported cheeses and crackers
- Heart shaped cookies
- Chocolate dipped strawberries
- Bottle of wine, champagne, or sparkling cider
- Wine opener
- Candle and/or flowers (You can use a jar as either a votive or vase.)
- Picnic basket (Check your craft store or discount store.)
Gather all the ingredients and place them in a wicker picnic basket.
Plan a special location to enjoy your picnic.
You may want to send a handmade invitation to your guest beforehand, perhaps keeping the location and picnic a mystery.
More on: Valentine's Day
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Making Great Gifts © 2001 by Marilee LeBon. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's web site or call 1-800-253-6476.