News and Events of 1900
- Fauvist movement in painting begins, led by Henri Matisse.
- Austrian psychiatrist Sigmund Freud publishes The Interpretation of Dreams.
- In China, the anti-foreigner Boxers occupy Beijing. International force ends both the siege and the Boxer Rebellion.
U.S. StatisticsPresident: William McKinley
Vice President: none
More U.S. Statistics...
- Hurricane ravages
Galveston, Tex.; 6,000 8,000 dead. Background: U.S. Hurricanes>
- Carrie Chapman Catt succeeds Susan B. Anthony as president of National Woman Suffrage
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.02
Stanley CupMontreal Shamrocks
WimbledonWomen: Blanche Hillyard d. C. Cooper (4-6 6-4 6-4)
Men: Reggie Doherty d. S. Smith (6-8 6-3 6-1 6-2)
Kentucky Derby ChampionLieut. Gibson
NCAA Football ChampionsYale (12-0-0)
- Floradora opens at Broadway's Casino Theatre. It introduces the Floradora sextet, a predecessor to the chorus line.
- German physicist Max Planck formulates an energy theory, postulating the existence of "quanta," which lays the groundwork for the quantum theory of modern physics.