News and Events of 1907
World Statisticspopulation by decade
Nobel Peace Prize:
Ernesto T. Moneta (Italy) and Louis Renault (France)
More World Statistics...
- Second Hague Peace Conference, of 46 nations, adopts 10 conventions on rules of war.
- The first Cubist exhibition is held in Paris.
U.S. StatisticsPresident: Theodore Roosevelt
Vice President: Charles W. Fairbanks
More U.S. Statistics...
- Fall of the stock market sparks financial panic across the U.S.
- Oklahoma becomes the country's 46th state.
EconomicsFederal spending: $0.58 billion
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.02
World SeriesChicago Cubs d. Detroit (4-0-1)
Stanley CupKenora Thistles/Montreal Wanderers
WimbledonWomen: May Sutton d. D. Chambers (6-1 6-4)
Men: Norman Brookes d. A. Gore (64 62 62)
Kentucky Derby ChampionPink Star
NCAA Football ChampionsYale (9-0-1)
Nobel Prize for Literature: Rudyard Kipling (UK)More Entertainment Awards...
- Florenz Ziegfeld introduces his Ziegfeld Follies, the legendary musical extravaganzas.
Nobel Prizes in Science
Chemistry: Eduard Buchner (Germany), discovery of cell-less fermentation and investigations in biological chemistry
Physics: Albert A. Michelson (US), for spectroscopic and metrologic investigations
Physiology or Medicine: Charles L. A. Laveran (France), for work with protozoa in the generation of disease