News and Events of 1910
World Statisticspopulation by decade
Nobel Peace Prize:
Bureau International Permanent de la Paix (Switzerland)
More World Statistics...
- Union of South Africa established, with its parliamentary capital in Cape Town and administrative capital in Pretoria (May 31).
- Portuguese monarchy ends. Teofilio Braga is selected as president of new republic.
- Mexican revolution begins; Francisco Madero publishes his manifesto La sucesión presidencial en 1910.
- Japan formally annexes Korea.
U.S. StatisticsPresident: William H. Taft
Vice President: James S. Sherman
More U.S. Statistics...
- Boy Scouts of America is
- Angel Island,
in San Francisco Bay,
center for Asians entering
EconomicsFederal spending: $0.69 billion
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.02
World SeriesPhiladelphia A's d. Chicago Cubs (4-1)
Stanley CupMontreal Wanderers
WimbledonWomen: Dorothea Chambers d. D. Boothby (6-2 6-2)
Men: Tony Wilding d. A. Gore (6-4 7-5 4-6 6-2)
Kentucky Derby ChampionDonau
NCAA Football ChampionsHarvard (CFRA, HF) (8-0-1) & Pittsburgh (NCF) (9-0-0)
Nobel Prize for Literature: Paul von Heyse (Germany)More Entertainment Awards...
- Thomas Edison introduces his kinetophone, which makes talkies a reality.
Nobel Prizes in Science
Chemistry: Otto Wallach (Germany), for work in the field of alicyclic compounds
Physics: Johannes D. van der Waals (Netherlands), for work with the equation of state for gases and liquids
Physiology or Medicine: Albrecht Kossel (Germany), for achievements in the chemistry of the cell
- Halley's comet is observed photographically for the first time.